Monday, October 6, 2014

Random Thoughts #0

99% of programers work is not visible to the end user. You can render a texture on screen or play an audio file and people can more-or-less tell how much work it was put into making it. But how can you tell how much work did it take to get that texture even appear on the screen ?

Bla, bla, bla... On the left of the blog in the Broken Mug Engine section is a link to the "Changelog" page, where I will be listing the changes and fixes made to the engine, so you can see what is going on behind the screen.

***

I had big problems with dynamic light, so I rage quit, and didn't touch the code for several weeks. Then I bought a new PC after 9 years. I spent a lot of money, just to be sure it will be a build that will last. And what happened ? The Corsair power supply doesn't work properly, so I had to send it back. Now I'm waiting for it to get either replaced or fixed.

So I'm back in 2005 with a PC that takes forever to build the engine. At least it never needed any fixing. To get back on topic, I fixed the dynamic light problem and since I have no idea what to do with it, or what to do in general with the engine, I just clean all the messy and crash-friendly code. Some of the GUI features now run automatically, so I don't have to write redundant code. Also connecting and disconnecting various in-game entities is also done in the background and hopefully it will prevent crashes, like when I was doing it manually.


1 comment: