Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Intel stock CPU cooler vs. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO


Two or three years ago I bought Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler for my i5-4690k processor, but I never took the time to actually install it until now. I was using the stock Intel cooler, the thin aluminium one with a copper core, ever since I bought the new computer in late 2014.

I used the included thermal paste when I installed the new cooler. I used my AC to bring the room temperature down to 24°C when testing and removed the case side panel. I used CPU-Z stress test to keep the processor at 100% load and HWMonitor to keep track of the temperatures.

With Intel stock cooler the idle temperatures were around 30-32°C. After 10 minutes of stress test the maximum reported temperatures were 74-80°C depending on the core. The maximum fan RPM was 1860.

With Hyper 212 EVO cooler the idle temperatures were around 24-26°C. After 10 minutes of stress test the maximum reported temperatures were 45-51°C depending on the core. The maximum fan RPM was 1300. So, with default settings in idle the difference is around 5°C and during stress test it is around 30°C which I did not expect.

Then I repeated the test with fans set to "silent mode" in BIOS, where they only spin at 750 RPM, and even then the maximum temperature goes only to 55°C.

Then I tried overclocking the CPU to 4.4 GHz (stock is 3.5-3.9 GHz) with fan running at only 950 RPM and the temperatures went only up to 71°C, so I might even go for 4.5 GHz with higher RPM.

I was really surprised with the difference on default settings compared to the stock cooler and how well the new cooler can handle even overclocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment